Tuesday, August 5, 2008

Thing #19

Revolution Health is wonderful, filled with great information. I frequently make a point of talking about some current health issues because many of them link to what we are studying in biology.

Upcoming, a site that posts events planned for Houston, was interesting to me. The education tab listed events that might be of interest to students and me as well. Locations included Museum of Natural Science, Rice University, and the Holocaust Museum. All offer great programs.

I checked out Twitter, too. I imagine it would be very interesting to try particularly with my biological children.
They are adults with their own lives and I would enjoy knowing how they spend their days.

2 comments:

Tex Teacher said...

Which current events in health do you discuss? Way to keep things relevant to your students! I know it can be difficult for students to sometimes see things as they are in present times rather than "olden days", so kudos to you for keeping it up to date.

JAMS said...

I bring up anything I can find. I know I will talk about the nano medication for cancer treatment that has just been discussed in the newspapers.
Last year, I took a class at Rice that included new research in cardiology. Students really liked this.
On another note, this year coyotes have been seen in Hunter's Creek. A nice connection to ecology.

Thanks for commenting.